Christmas means vibrant decorations, singing carols, lots of gifts from Santa and yummy holiday sweets. While cookies, gingerbread men and plum cakes are synonymous to Christmas goodies, it’s the sugar cookies which kids love the most. Its tantalizing smell, the playful crunch as well as its fun shapes and decorations never fails to entice the kids and gets them in holiday mood with the very first bite. So why not involve them in making their favorite treats and turn cookie-making into a fun-filled kids’ activity? A large tin of home-made sugar cookies makes a great gift for family members, friends or neighbors and when they are made by kids, such gifts are bound to bring a smile on everyone’s’ face.
Making sugar cookies can be a tad tough for the kids and processes involving refrigerating or kneading often tries a kid’s patience. However, trimming certain steps and proper supervision can help the kids pull of the task with ease. And the final outcome will make the sweet tooth sing with joy! These Christmas sugar cookies taste great even without any frills attached. But a kid will certainly not let their baked cookies go without beautiful decorations. So hand them a bag of sugar sprinkles, frosting-filled piping bags and let their creativity flow as they decorate the Christmas sugar cookies to their heart’s desire.
- 2 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Warm up your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the butter and sugar in a medium bowl and whisk them together using an electric mixer, until the mixture turns smooth and fluffy.
- Crack the egg into it, along with a dash of vanilla extract and whisk further until well combined.
- Place the flour in a separate bowl and stir in the baking powder as well as baking soda until mixed properly.
- Add this dry mixture into the wet ingredients, ½ cup at a time, and fold them together after every addition until fully incorporated.
- Stir the mixture until the dough is free of any lumps.
- Pinch out small round balls from the dough using a spoon and lay them out onto baking sheets, spaced apart; you may also roll out the dough and cut out pretty shapes using cookie cutters.
- Pop the sheets into the hot oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the cookies are baked through.
- Remove from oven and lay out the cookies onto a wire rack.
- Allow to cool completely and decorate.